Every summer we vacation with family on the Outer Banks of North Carolina and go crazy over the fresh fruit, especially peaches, that are available.
Just before setting out this year, my wife found a great salad recipe that calls for fresh peaches, and she decided that on our night to cook (every family takes a night), this salad would make an appearance.
Let me tell you, after a full day at the beach, everyone is ready to eat and this peach salad with feta and tomatoes was simple to prepare and had everyone singing her praises. It was also the perfect compliment to our traditional night of steamers and and fresh corn.
The recipe is healthy and great for those sticking to the Mediterranean Diet. A little olive oil and some crumpled feta cheese is about the only fat that is in this dish.
Credit for this recipe goes to food writer Kelly Alexander and is taken from “Peaches: A Savor The Southern Cookbook.”
Summer Peach Salad – yields 4
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 lb. peaches peeled, pitted and sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 1/2 pounds best quality tomatoes, of different varieties and color. Halved or diced depending upon size
- 1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 3 Tbsp. EVO
- 1 Tsp. honey
- 4 ounces crumbled feta cheese
- 2 Tbsp. small basil leaves or torn basil leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
In a large bowl combine the onion, peaches and tomatoes.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the vinegar, olive oil, honey, salt and pepper. Drizzle over the fruit mixture, then add the feta and basil and gently toss. Serve immediately!
There you have it a Summer Peach Salad fit for an Outer Banks vacation or any occasion.
- Blueberry and feta salad (nami-nami.blogspot.com)
- Quinoa Salad in a Jar // Peaches & Pickled Onions (sageandsparkle.com)
- 6 Savory Ways to Eat Peaches (relish.com)
- Peach Salad (livelifewelldone.wordpress.com)
- Summer Salads (savoryandsweet.com)
- The grilled peach salad of my dreams (inmamastephskitchen.com)