It seems like everyone is jumping on the Mango bandwagon theses days and with good reason. Mangoes are a sweet, tasty and healthy fruit that adds a little diversity into your diet.
The internet is full of recipes using fresh mangoes, but I discovered my favorite way of using this fruit by making Mango Bean Wraps.
Just the other day a food industry buddy of mine asked me if I liked Mangoes. I reminded him that there was very little in the food category that I didn’t like and mangoes certainly were a fruit I could sink my teeth into. With that he handed me a bag of eight mangoes, claiming that he had just purchased a case for a special order and had extra. “They’re yours, enjoy” he exclaimed.
I took the mangoes home and suddenly realized that 8 mangoes were quite a bit and I needed to come up with a use for these beauties. Check out my recipe for Mango Bean Wraps! Make these and provide your family and friends with a truly unique meal.
- 2 sweet bell peppers, diced
- 1 small sweet onion, diced
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained well
- 2 mangos, diced
- 1 lime, juiced
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 ripe avocado, pitted, peeled, diced
- 4 (medium size) healthy tortillas (corn, sun-dried tomato, spinach, low carb, whatever you like); you may warm these if you wish before filling
- In a skillet over medium heat, add a drizzle of oil, the diced bell peppers and onion, stir and cook just until softened, then add the beans, reduce heat to low and cook gently for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, take out a bowl and add the mangos, lime juice, cilantro, and avocado, stir and keep cold.
- Lay the tortillas out on a work surface. Evenly divide the warm bean mixture in the middle of each tortilla, and then evenly divide the cold mango mixture on top of each.
- Roll the tortillas up and enjoy immediately.