Pasta Con Sarde: A real Sicilian treat.
Pasta Con Sarde
Recipe type: Main
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 cup fresh bread crumbs
- ½ cup grated Parmesan
- 1 fennel bulb, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 – 4⅜ ounce cans boneless and skinless sardines, drained
- 1 cup canned crushed tomatoes puree
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
- 1 pound spaghetti
- In a large frying pan, heat ¼ cup of the oil over moderate heat. Add the bread crumbs and cook, stirring until golden, about 5 minutes. Remove the crumbs from the pan and toss with the Parmesan. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, heat the remaining quarter cup oil over moderately high heat. Add the fennel and cook, stirring occasionally until golden 5 to 10 minutes. Add the garlic and cook. Stir in the tomatoes and bring almost to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer to thicken, about 10 minutes. Break up the sardines add to the pan with parsley, salt, and pepper for a minute. Remove from the heat.
- In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the spaghetti until just done. Drain and toss the spaghetti with the sauce and half of the bread crumbs. Top with the remaining crumbs.