Black Rice Salad with Salmon
Joanne Lusted/Dinner Tonight
Recipe type: Main
- 1 cup black rice
- Pinch sea salt to taste
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- Juice of two limes
- 3 tbsp soy salt (low sodium preferred)
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 sesame oil
- 2 tsp hot sauce (optional)
- 8 oz boneless, skinless salmon, cut into 4 fillets
- 1 mango, peeled, pitted and diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- ⅓ cup chopped cilantro
- ⅓ chopped mint, plus whole leaves for garnish
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- Fresh ground pepper to taste
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 4 tbsp silvered almonds or chopped peanuts
- In a medium pot combine rice, 2 cups cold water and pinch salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer until tender. 25 to 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and invert rice onto a large baking sheet, using a fork to spread out. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, prepare dressing. In a small bowl, whisk vinegar, olive oil, lime juice, soy sauce, honey, sesame oil and hot sauce . In a large resealable bag add the salmon and ⅓ of the dressing. Seal and gently turn bag to coat; refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine mango, bell pepper, cilantro, mint and onions. Add rice and remaining dressing. Toss to coat and season with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate till needed.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet on medium-high and coat with cooking spray. Remove salmon from bag, discarding the marinade. Add salmon to skillet and cook, turning-once until flesh flakes easily when tested with a fork, about 4 minutes.
- Remove from pan, transfer to a plate and set until aside completely cooled.
- Spoon mango-rice mixture into serving bowls and top with salmon and almonds, dividing evenly.